Friday, January 10, 2014

What's Making Me Happy This Month - January

Readers who are familiar with the NPR program Pop Culture Happy Hour should also be familiar with the title of this post - or a variation of it, at any rate. This smart entertainment podcast wraps up each weekly show with a segment entitled, "What's Making Us Happy This Week."

I love this part of the podcast and thought it would make an excellent category for a monthly blog post. And being the good librarian that I am, I am citing my source and giving full credit to Linda Holmes and others for a perfect segment title. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, right?

So, to begin the new year with what's making me happy this month, I have to say: podcasts in general. How great is it that I don't have to miss a single episode of my favourite radio programs? And while I love going for my morning walks in the summer and listening to Q in real time, I think it's downright wonderful that I can tune in while I'm preparing dinner during the school year.

Driving, walking, or cooking, you'll find me being entertained, educated, and enriched by some of these faves:







I have a handy Podcast app on my iPhone that makes following and keeping-up-to-date an easy task.


I've even had Mr. Fun listen to some excellent interviews while on road trips. Nothing too artsy for him. But he loved Jian's interview with Bobby Orr.

Podcasts - definitely what's making me happy this month.



2 comments:

  1. Great list - all of those podcasts are ones I regularly listen to as well! I also occasionally listen to Alec Baldwin's podcast "Here's the Thing" on WNYC, because I fell in love with him in It's Complicated haha.

    What's making me happy this week is slightly warmer temperatures, and from a pop culture perspective, this video featuring Jimmy Fallon singing the Reading Rainbow theme song as Jim Morrison (so random, but two of my favourite things!) The song itself starts just before the 2 minute mark:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFieOMWRZSk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip. I 'll have to listen to Alec Baldwin sometime - he was hilarious in It's Complicated! And Jimmy Fallon - Well Done.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your story!