Saturday, January 4, 2014

Must Read in 2014

Happy New Year!

I was recently invited by Carrie Gelson of There's a Book For That, to share in a reading challenge for 2014. I like the idea behind this reading challenge. Of course, I have my Forest of Reading titles that I attempt to get through each year.  I also maintain a list of books, derived mainly by recommendations and reviews, that I want to read at some point in my life. In addition to this are the books that I have purchased and are growing into a tower on my night table. Must Read In 2014 takes the To Be Read list and makes it into a manageable collection of books that simply must be read this year.



I have chosen 10 books for my Must Read in 2014






The first of my Canada Reads selections. I love the program and 
 plan to read the majority of the nominated titles.












One of my all-time favourites: Sandra Gulland's Josephine B. trilogy. I've heard great things about this one, too. I hope I'm not disappointed.

















Another of the Canada Reads selections.



















I really enjoyed Ms. Stachniak's Winter Palace and am looking forward to the second book in the series. I'm also fresh off a reading of Robert Massie's Catherine the Great. What a character Catherine was!
















One more from Canada Reads.



















Another "second in the series" that I'm anxious to start. I love my historical fiction.


















I don't know if I'll be able to wait 'til the spring publication date of this one. I have enjoyed reading Jennifer Eremeeva's blogs and am so excited for this book.

















My first Canada Reads selection - just started this morning. Daughter1 is waiting not-so-patiently to discuss this book that she loved.

















Yup, this is going to be the year that I finally read this book.



















I've had this one on my TBR list for too long. 2014 will be the year I read another Henry James. The Portrait of a Lady was a favourite university read of mine.















Stay tuned, as I review each of my selections in the coming months.


2 comments:

  1. Love that you have joined us Julie! And LOVE the Canada Reads titles! We can all learn so much being exposed to other TBR picks! Look forward to following your reviews of these titles. I added you to a #MustReadin2014 twitter list as well! Happy Reading for 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks again for the invite Carrie. I'm looking forward to checking out other picks, too.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your story!