Monday, May 13, 2013

Monday Musings

Happy Monday!

I definitely took the road less travelled today.



I usually have a particular route or destination in mind when I head out on my walks. I walk quite briskly and I walk with purpose. Today, something made me turn into the forest and follow some of the lesser-travelled paths. Today I was a wanderer. I thought of the J.R.R. Tolkien quote, "not all who wander are lost."



Consequently, not a lot of reading got done today. And here's the problem: my current read is from the public library. It is on a long hold list, so there are no renewals. It is checked out to Daughter1 who was travelling in Scotland and could not read it when it first became available. Now she wants me to finish it quickly and pass it on to her so she doesn't revert back to delinquent borrower status.

 Part of the problem lies in the fact that I am not totally enjoying Zelda. I want to like it, and I do like it enough to want to continue. It's just that ....I'd rather wander around in a forest. I had such high hopes. I loved Paula McLain's The Paris Wife, and Midnight in Paris was an awesome film. I thought that Zelda would put me back into that world, but it's just not doing it - yet, anyway.

What about you? What does it take to give up on a book without finishing it?  At what point do you feel too invested to give up? What has been your experience when you have gone back to books that were abandoned earlier? I'd love to hear from you.


1 comment:

  1. Please hurry up and finish it! I can't afford to go back to being a delinquent borrower! :)

    There are certain books I've attempted to read over the years, and just never got past the first 30 pages or so - Portrait of a Lady (I know, I know, it's one of your favourite books!), Brave New World (never been much of a fan of dystopian lit, and even The Idiot (and I'm a big Russian lit girl!). Usually the case is that I've attempted to tackle a book I feel I "should" read, because it's a classic. But it's not necessarily something I'd pick off a shelf if it wasn't so historically lauded. So a certain unconscious reluctance to read it might contribute to me just not getting into it. Kinda like when you HAVE to do something - it takes the fun out of it!

    One book that I recently felt too invested in to give up on, but still didn't like it at all, was Ken Follett's "Winter of the World" book 2 in his 20th century trilogy. I absolutely hated his sloppy, lazy writing style, his plot, his word choice, etc (wow this sounds harsh!) but I kept plugging away in the hopes that the usual Ken Follett would return, as I normally really enjoyed his novels. I got to a certain point when I realized it wasn't going to get any better, but I was so far in that I couldn't give up on it! When I finished it though I felt like it had been a gigantic waste of time.

    Good questions and great post!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your story!