Monday, April 15, 2013

"The Best Laid Plans ..."

".... the best laid plans of mice and men go oft awry." Hmmm, something I can relate to. As I begin my fourth month with a debilitating back injury and watch plan after plan go awry, it's getting a little tougher to see my glass as half full. But thanks to a little sunshine today, a couple of unexpected phone calls, the impending homecoming of my university children, and the constant love and support of my stalwart rock and soul mate, I'm sure I'm going to make it to the other side.

I've been on a bit of a YA kick these past few weeks. Until lately, most YA novels seemed to be turning up as Dystopian or Fantasy works - not my favourite genres. My undergrad is in History and English, so it makes sense that my go-to genre is Historical Fiction.  I also enjoy Realistic Fiction which is where The Pull of Gravity belongs. It has a little bit of adventure in the form of a quest,  a little bit of romance, and a cast of quirky characters.

What I love about The Pull of Gravity is the way Gae Polisner nails the voice of a fourteen-year old boy in the character of Nick Gardner. I always have respect for an author who writes in the point-of-view of the opposite gender and gets it right. And in my opinion she gets it right with Nick. I think Ms. Poliser has boys herself. She must be a keen observer of their conversation, reactions, and nuances.

What I also like is the tie-in with John Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men and Robert Burns' poem To A Mouse. Lately I am noticing this nod to the classics as a trend. A.G.Howard's Splintered visits Alice's Wonderland; and Cinder by 





 









2 comments:

  1. Your comment about books that have a nod to the classics reminds me of Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine. This book was wildly popular amongst girls in my generation when it came out (early 2000s) and I think it was because it was such a fresh take on the Cinderella story told through the voice of a refreshingly modern and funny girl. Is Ella Enchanted still getting some action in school libraries today, or has it been forgotten? It was a great read even though the movie was atrocious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, "Ella" still gets read occasionally. This reminds me to give it another push though. I didn't see the movie, but heard the same thing

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your story!