Friday, March 29, 2013

This Re-Boot Was Made For Walking

I forgot my earbuds when I headed out on my walk today. You see I have this little dead zone around my house that invariably cuts out my audio just as I am getting into my playlist. To avoid this I wait until I am a few houses away before I plug in.

I know, I know. First world problems and all. But lately my walking time has also been my learning time. I have playlists from NPR, TED Talks, and CBC podcasts that will keep me walking for a lifetime. I absolutely love the multi-tasking aspect of listening to informative talk radio while getting fresh air and exercise. It's like killing two birds with one stone. I get so engaged with what I am listening to that I may be seen smiling in recognition, nodding in agreement, and on more than one occasion stopping to take notes of what I've just heard. This is just a sampling of some of the excellent programs I have heard in the past month or so that I would recommend:

  • Today's Bullied Teens Subject to 'Sticks and Stones' Online Too - NPR
  • An 'Autopsy' of Detroit Finds Resilience in a Struggling City - NPR
  • Regina Spektor: On Growing Up a Soviet Kid - NPR
  • Chicago Kids Say They're Assigned to Gangs - NPR
  • The Teen Brain - Q: The Podcast (CBC)
  • Malcolm Gladwell: Choice, Happiness and Spaghetti Sauce - TED
  • Steve Jobs: How to Live Before You Die - TED
  • Susan Cain: The Power of Introverts - TED
  • John Hunter: Teaching With the World Peace Game - TED

It may seem that I have a broad area of interest but really I just want to be the winner at The Name Game (a trivia-like game that is popular in my family.) Keeps me on my toes.

Now sometimes what happens is that my head starts to spin. I get giddy thinking about all I want to read, learn, remember, create, and accomplish. This sometimes leads to a bit of overload. I remember reading somewhere what the RAM specifications are for the human brain and I worry that I will run out at some time. How much memory do all these applications require? How does one go about getting a bigger hard drive? Is there a recycle bin or a deleted files folder that can be emptied in order to create more space?

But back to this morning. Unexpectedly I was alone with my thoughts and it struck me that sometimes all a computer needs is a reboot. Just shut it down. Wait a little while. Restart. It's always been my go-to advise and nine times out of ten it leads to a positive outcome.

So that's what this weekend has become for me - a reboot. A step away from the things that get my brain all fired up. It will be the perfect weekend to connect with our family - all five of us are under the same roof this weekend. So much catching up to be done. And the perfect time for reflection - Easter!

Wishing everyone a peaceful and Happy Easter!




No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your story!